The history of technical higher education in Cluj Napoca goes back to the beginning of the previous century. The unification of the Romanian provinces into a single state, on December 1 st 1918, opened new perspectives for education. On February 1 st 1920 the Industrial College was founded in Cluj-Napoca. The new education institution passed afterwards through a series of transformations, becoming the College for Technical Conductors in 1922. It was the only college with a major in electrical engineering in the country and the forerunner of the Cluj Polytechnic Institute. Another technical college founded in 1920 was The College for Conductors of Public Works, specializing in roads and bridges, forerunner of the Faculty of Civil Engineering. In 1937, the College for Technical Conductors, which had an excellent reputation within Romanian industry, was reorganized as The Electromechanical College.

In 1947, the Cluj Mechanics Institute was founded, following a petition addressed to the Ministry of National Education regarding the foundation of a Polytechnic Institute with three faculties (civil engineering, electrical engineering and forestry) in Cluj-Napoca, under the provisions of the August 1948 law for the reform of education. The Mechanics Institute had a faculty with two departments: Thermotechnics and Machines. The increasing need of technical specialists helped the Mechanics Institute turn into the Cluj Polytechnic Institute in 1953.

After the 1989 Revolution, Romanian higher education came back to the former tradition correlated to the Western system. In 1992 the Polytechnic Institute was renamed to the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, and the three existing faculties at that time were restructured into seven faculties: Automation and Computer Science, Electronics and Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering ,Machine Building, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science and Engineering, as well as the Technical, Business and Administration College. Starting with the academic year 1998-1999 the structure of the Technical University was completed with the Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning.

Nowadays the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca trains specialists in the technical field (mechanical, electrical and civil engineering as well as architecture) through long and short term education programmes, postgraduate and PhD studies. It has over 12,000 students.

Scientific research has been an essential preoccupation of the academic and research staff of the TUCN. The scientific potential of the University made it capable of organizing a series of outstanding scientific events attended by a large number of Romanian and foreign specialists. The practical results of the research activity are reflected in numerous contracts and projects with domestic and international financing. The most important projects are those with CNCSIS, ANSTI, and PNCDI as well as those financed by the European Union Commission: EUREKA, COPERNICUS, COST, PC5 and PC6.

The University's correlation to European standards is reflected by the international conventions it is part of and by its participation in a wide range of European education programs: TEMPUS-PHARE, SOCRATES, ERASMUS, LEONARDO, CEEPUS.A series of international conventions, agreements and protocols were signed with universities from France, Italy, Germany, the USA, Austria etc. Since 2003 TUCN has been a member of the European Association of Universities.

Nowadays the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca is a modern technical higher education institution, passing through a period of genuine rebirth and confirming authentic capabilities for scientific and technical creation.

 





















Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
Str. Constantin Daicoviciu nr 15, 400020 Cluj - Napoca, Romania
phone +4 0264 401 200, 401248, phone/fax +4 0264 592 055

The Rector's Message | History | International Relations | Organization | Phone Numbers | Map | Contact