University / Services / The Library

The Library of the Technical University from Cluj Napoca was founded in 1948, on the base of the library belonging to the former School of Electromechanics Conductor Engineers.

At first, it had 3.348 books offered by the same School. The development of the library was dynamic, as it closely followed the development of the university, with all its faculties, sections and specializations.

The evolution of the library activity and services has been positive since its foundation. For instance, between 1948-1977, the number of books increased 96 times, along with the increasing number of users and ordered books. Thus, in 1963, the library held 123.502 items, in 1963 the number grew to 138 .835, while in 1978 it had 340.000 items. Currently, the library has approximately 7.000.000 books. Having an encyclopaedic structure, the collections of the library can cover both the general and the specialized needs of the users

The activity of the library is run in several locations: the main office (25, Daicoviciu St.), the Mecanica library (103-105, Muncii Bvd.), and the Observator library (Observator St., in the students' campus). In the main office, the services available to the users and the whole library are: information, registrati on, processing.

In the Technical University there are also 38 specialized departmental libraries that are meant to answer the needs of both the academic staff and the students from those faculties.

The library covers a total space of 3.000m2 and has three reading rooms with a capacity of 350 places, where the readers have free access to browsing the books on the shelves. It has over 12.000 users, who, in 2003 borrowed over 670.000 books.

The search of the items in the library can be done with the help of the alphabetic and systematic catalogues. The items registered since 1990 can be searched by the ON LINE CATALOGUE. The Library of the Technical University takes part in co-operation programmes and exchanges periodicals with 22 Romanian partners and over 30 partners from abroad.

The collection of periodicals comprises over 3.000 titles as follows: current titles (2004), 60 titles from Romania, 46 titles from abroad, joined by other 119 titles obtained through exchanges with other libraries. The library of the Technical University also holds a collection of Standards, over 65.000 patents, the Collection of Laws (Monitorul Oficial), and the possibility of electronic search with the help of the LEGIS programme. The library comprises the archives department, a multiplication workshop as well as a mini bookshop with publications edited by the U. T. PRES publishing house of the Technical University.

 























Universitatea Tehnica Cluj - Napoca
Str. Constantin Daicoviciu nr 15, 400020 Cluj - Napoca, Romania
tel. +4 0264 401 200, 401248, tel./fax +4 0264 592 055

Data Communication Center | Distance Education (DECID) | CAMAN | CTMED | CONCORDE | CISCO Networking Academy | Microsoft Academic Program
U.T.PRES | Library |Contact